Tuesday, March 9, 2010

seasonless

seasons in new york change in a day.
there is no snow gathered in mounds
following my front walkway ,
leading me from the street to my home,
ushering me from the door to the fire.
there is no snow to indicate the passing of time
from christmas to easter,
from january to march,
from winter to spring.
there is no snow to remind us that we live in
days and seasons;
we live in time.

with the absence of the elements stretching from
one day to the next,
indicating continuity,
our days are isolated.
rhythm becomes the beat of the trains
and the horns of the cars,
but we do not understand that life passes
in seasons and in time.
that one day i will grow old like my mother is growing old
like my grandmother grew old.
that one day i will bury my lover in the field where we first lay
in springtime when our love was new.
I will lay him down again in spring, to mark the fullness of life
in the fullness of a year,
in the fullness of a season.
and one day, i will be buried underneath the field where i first conceived
a thought that i could love.

i do not know it yet.
there is no field here for me to go fresh and sweet to be undone.
there is no mark of death in this place.
only the steady pulse of the same age
for ages.
there is no labor to tell me that i must work for the food i eat.
only the steady pulse of tired hands and hearts.

and spring came in a day.
and will leave in a day.
and there is no more thought of winter,
there is no more snow to remind us what was,
and what will be.

1 comment:

Me. said...

Pleasure to read your words.