Monday, February 9, 2009

going home, three a.m.

at three a.m.
on the long ride back from
one home to another,
i begin to peer.
i stare at the icons head on,
wonder if i can take them down.

the wind blows gently,
and i wonder,
if it could ever be safe
to lay down
in sixth avenue
and look up and sink in.

i wonder what new york
could teach me in the dark
when it is lonely and looking
for someone to listen.

i'm willing to listen.

i want to lay down,
in the middle of sixth avenue
and look up and sink in.
i want to lay down,
and just be honest for a change.
bare and before you.
submitting
and safe.

2 comments:

Andrew Springman said...

I like the straightforwardness of this one. It brings me there emotionally easily.

I'm not sure of what is meant by the line "take them down". Can't tell if that is destroy them or capture them in a journal.

I've got you on Google Reader, making it easier to read your poems regularly and I'm enjoying it.

Me. said...

yes... oh dear kate, this is wonderful.