Monday, September 20, 2010

grace.

I've got six minutes to write.
and then i must get up and keep going.
going, going.

i wonder, this morning,
how peter, james, and john
felt sitting at the bottom of the mountain,
bewildered,
as their beloved wept on top of the mountain,
in agony.

i wonder if they were ashamed of their ignorance.

i wonder other things too:
how long did it take for the woman behind the line
to break her promise,
"go and sin no more?"
how many minutes from his kind eyes
to her next relapse into the
life she taught herself
by routine and such steady practice:
five husbands and a couple of lovers.

i wonder these things as my eyes
well up with tears thinking that
his mercies are new every morning,
that his kindness leads me to repentance,
that I have taught myself rebellion for twenty-two long years,
and now I am tired.
and now I see grace in submission,
so much so that I would wear a scarf on my head
if it would beckon you to come faster.
if it would woo you into my heart
to replace my cavities with gold.

so lovesick, am i, that I might just do anything you asked me to.
though your simple request to
go and sin no more
seems more impossible than all the rest.

and for this, i pray grace.

"Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from this misty lowland where I have wandered so long"

2 comments:

z said...

anything i want to write as a comment sounds so silly in my ears. but i really like your poetry and so i wanted to let you know.

z said...

anything i want to write as a comment sounds so silly in my ears. but i really like your poetry and so i wanted to let you know.